Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cruise Impressions - Jeff Metcalf


I’m sitting in my stateroom looking out at the Danube river float by as we sail from Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, on our way to Vienna.  As the beautiful countryside moves past, I reflect on the experiences I’ve had in the last couple of days, I know that the experiences of this trip will be treasures I’ll take with me for the rest of my life.

My wife Missy and I are on a cruise up the Danube with the Youth Performing Arts School (YPAS).  Last night we were treated to a concert as we sat in the lounge sailing out of Budapest to Bratislava.  I’m sure they are looking forward to performing in some of the fantastic venues throughout this journey, and our whole group will be treated to one tomorrow night in Vienna.  Vienna!!  I hate to brag, but as you watch American Idol, I’ll be in VIENNA watching a live performance choir in a cathedral in VIENNA!  How AWESOME is THAT!!

As they sang to us on the ship I was recalling several travel experiences I had while I was in high school.  I can only imagine how phenomenal the performance experiences will be, but I know from my own experiences that these kids are getting something much more.  When you are immersed in other cultures, see the history, interact with the local people, taste the food, you take home something far greater than any classroom could possibly deliver.  In many ways the world becomes smaller, but it also opens up doors to things you never even thought about.  This perspective was a shift in my world view when I was that age, and I know they will feel and appreciate the difference as they talk with friends who are not yet traveled.

We visited the Fisherman’s Bastion and took in a wonderful view of the Danube from the top of the hill, then toured Matthias Church.  Apparently Mozart spent several years in this area, and the guide pointed out the concert hall, a stones throw from the President’s Palace.  Visiting places like these you begin to realize that the age of the buildings and depth of history is greater than the age of our own country!  200 years ago seems “old”, but it is a flash in the pan compared to what you see right before your eyes.

* Budapest is the merger of “Buda” and “Pest”.  The old city of Buda is built on the Northern side of the Danube on “Buda hill”.

Today we woke up just in time to watch as the ship went through a 64 foot lock.  In fact the lock was so tall that we couldn’t look up from our window and see the sky for a good 10 to 15 minutes!  This got us up river and into Bratislava, where we took a city tour and explored the town.

I saw several of us from the ship at St. Martins Dom, a beautiful cathedral built in towering Romanesque architecture, and known for its ornate sculptures.  A large bronze statue dominated one corner standing 30 or more feed high, while numerous small wooden sculptures of animals playing instruments decorated the choir loft.  A unique treat was being able to go below the cathedral down into the crypt and see a variety caskets, ornate encasement, and simple bricked up plots that covered hundreds of years, and were hundreds of years old.

The food on this journey has been incredible!  If you have a less than adventurous palette, there is a good flavor of American style food here.  But to literally taste the experience, flavors of Hungary and Slovakia have been a large part of the meal plan.  I’ve personally enjoyed the tasting of local wines and beers from the places we’ve visited.  If you are really into food, you can get the history and details of the dish, brew, and vintage, adding to the excitement of your sensory experiences!

Traveling with an Incantato group has been nothing short of phenomenal.  Everything has all been accounted for.  Unlike traveling alone, where you really need to plan for everything, you really have the opportunity to “happen into greatness.”  I am eagerly anticipating the remainder of our trip as we make our way to Prague!








No comments:

Post a Comment