I woke up this May Day of ’09, aprox. one month after our return, with many thoughts of how our group was impacted by

I have made many journeys to
I would like to share with anyone who wants to read on .... some recollections – along with a few fotos and web links and explanations (you know you can't take the teacher out of us!) – to round it all out.
As all the parents and other adults on the trip would agree, we were filled with pride of all our kids; their talent and their comportment proved exceptional. In addition, I also had a bit of almost-motherly pride at seeing and hearing my ex-elementary students; Kayla, Logan, Steven, Connor, Jackie, Reece, Holly and of course Kylie and Garth, (all now semi-grown up) use their Spanish language skills! 
My thoughts first turn to all of the positive energy shared on the bus rides; the laughter emanating from the back, the hilarious "Truth or Dare" moments, and getting to know all the parents in an authentic way that could only happen when "living together" the same experience for 10 days straight.


While in Segovia, it was wonderful enjoying the best roast pig in the most famous Mesón of the world with a few adventurous souls; Tim G., Mathew, Jennifer, Wesley, Amy, Billy, Jim, Paul, Reece, Chris, Richard. (Paul, you need to post some of your photos!)
I especially enjoyed seeing Dr. G’s surprise
at the ceremonial serving of the cochinito!

A terrific article about this extremely famous restaurant, the Mesón de Cándido in Segovia can be read at:
To view a video of Alberto, the son, cutting up the suckling pig, just as he did for our group, go to;
There is also a wonderful PBS series called "Made In Spain" by a well known Spanish Chef José Andrés. If you have the opportunity you could watch the program called "Land of Fire" where José Andrés explains the history of this Mesón.
- Season 1 Episode 16: The Land of Fire
Sunday 10th May 3:30pm EDT
I am very happy to have this picture with the famous Alberto who graciously provided us with a tour of his historic restaurant and later served our group.
There were many proud moments hearing the wonderful comments from the many listeners
in the many crowds where our students performed. I enjoyed sharing with them who we were, where we were from, and always our well wishes for Spain and the fabulous experiences the group was having in their beautiful country.
Anxo Figuera, a fisherman from
More positive and amazed comments were spoken by the kids from the Coro Joven in
Enriching our trip were special people like Reverend Jim and his friend from
childhood Mr. Billy Bradford who was able to share Jim's personal pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela to see the Cathedral of his patron saint. Everyone was touched by the "inclusive" mass Father Jim prepared with the priest from Spain in the Catedral de Santiago for a varied audience by combining languages into one message for all.
The expressions of the faces of our students as they first experienced a true Flamenco Tablao. I have taken students to see such events who did not "get it" ... nor enjoyed it .....
- all would agree that our kids "got it" and really enjoyed it!
And, of course, that same evening, we had the dance "that started it all" (Cambron's quote)
between Emily and Adam in the Plaza Mayor in Madrid. On that last night we parents enjoyed as much as the students the explosion of youthful energy when two groups of outgoing teens came together with a common goal of meeting each other and having a great time.
I spoke with their teachers who said they were also on a school trip from
Now, some personal experiences that come quickly to mind, that I know not all on the tour had, but I'd like to share;
- I was lucky to be able to meet for the first time the parents of Javier,
a young boy sent to stay at our home last summer. I immediately felt like I had known Marisa forever with our non-stop conversation about politics, parenting, and work all over two typically madrileño delicious meals.
Also, we were fortunate to share this meal in the foto with my good friends Heidi and Ken.
-Jennifer Diamond's first words to me were; “You don’t understand, this is my DREAM trip”
Her last words to me; “Help me find a teaching or performance Grant to get back to
-Reece Johns offered up many interesting questions throughout the trip (ask anyone on the 2nd bus about the "bidet" question) I especially enjoyed his “Come here, Ms. Gonzalez,
you’ve got to see this!”
He was our scout in the Prado (for Scott and I), he never got lost and was always spot on with his observations!
In this foto he and Emily enjoy the company of two "typical ladies" from Santiago de Compostela.
-Chris Johns never allowed an opportunity to see more get past him. “What do you think is
back there?” he'd say, as he encouraged further exploration.
True to form, later, Chris encouraged a further exploration of the factory saying, "Just ask them about..." this or that.... Which lead to our getting a private tour of the curing process of the factory!
(BTW, there is a great Spanish movie of a few years ago, that the ladies might like, called "Jamón, Jamón", by Almovodar, that I teased the fellow about that gave us the tour.)
There were many other incidents including; the mysterious 6th floor in a certain hotel, easy encouragment of certain finicky eaters to "try the octopus", young romances, lost dress clothes left in a hotel, late late night talks, etc......
....and the enrichment of established friendships by getting to
share this time with my wonderful friends and next door neighbors Ken and Heidi Schultz and
their two sons Logan and Garth.
But, of course, my favorite moments were of observing my son Connor enjoy his
experience;

I am not alone in saying that I miss hearing our kids voices fill all those lovely venues
and that I am already looking forward to the next trip. I hear that Asia is in the running?




No comments:
Post a Comment